[mythtv-users] Permission problem... mythtv user

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 10 18:14:28 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2007, at 15:33, A JM wrote:
>> So, can you guys answer the question as to why when I created the
>> user
>> from the root account
>>
>> # addusr mythtv
>>
>> Why didn't the user mythtv get ownership of it's own directory?
>
> You didn't ask that question. And, sorry, no, I can't.
>
> My system doesn't have `addusr`, only `adduser`, which is a symlink
> to `useradd`. Were one invoking this one would need to ensure that
> the "-m" or "--create-home" parameter was set, in order to ensure a
> home directory was made. I would expect permissions to be set
> correctly, as long as the default ~mythtv did not already exist.
>
> But since you already have a /home/mythtv, why don't you simply
> `chown -R mythtv.mythtv /home/mythtv`?
>
> Stroller.

Sounds like he manually created /home/mythtv as root not realizing
that he simply created a directory, not a user. Realizing he had no
mythtv user, he created it later and wondered why it didn't go
through his entire filesystem structure and pick out any directories
named mythtv and assigned them to that new user. At least, that's the
scenario in my head. :)