[mythtv-users] VGA to component cables

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 7 15:40:38 UTC 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 12:38, Groepaz wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 13:27, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> Groepaz wrote:
>>> atleast in germany (and afaik thats true for entire europe) the
>>> american
>>> style component cable/input (YUV) is completely non existant

I'm glad I don't live in Europe, then!

>>> IF someone
>>> talks about component here (they usually dont call it like that
>>> though)
>>> he means RGB using SCART (aka "euro-av"). (that said, i wonder if
>>> that
>>> yuv component stuff isnt infact a usa exclusive thing)
>>
>> Sorry, wrong. Its also called YPbPr and is used for HD projectors in
>> Europe. Some TVs and STB also support it. You only find it in
>> combination with HD though.
>>
>> If you go into a shop, the Premiere geeignet HD capable STB
>> support it.
>>
>> HDMI is the preferred solution though.
>
> ok, for HD stuff maybe...thats however new/uncommon enough (atleast
> around
> here) that probably only "movie freaks" know about what you say =)

Here in the UK, only "movie freaks" know the difference between
composite, composite-SCART, and RGB-SCART, yet all tellies have at
least two of these. Here I'd guess at least 25% of the full-sized TVs
in any store - even high street stores & supermarkets - have YPbPr
component.

> (for
> example gameconsoles, even hd-capable ones, come with rgb/scart
> output here
> and with component output in the usa)

I don't think this is the case. My imported US Wii came with only a
composite cable, and I believe that this is the case also with UK
Wiis, also. RGB & component cables are expensive high-profit
accessories. According to Wikipedia "no high-definition video cables
(neither component nor HDMI) are included; instead, a composite video/
stereo audio cable ships with the [PS3]"; the low-end Xbox360 is also
supplied with only composite cables, but I don't know if there are
regional variations in the cables supplied with the high-end model.

You're certainly right that component is more common in the US, and I
would too agree in general with the suggestion that as far as  Joe &
Jane Consumer are concerned "SCART is the European component,
component the American SCART", but component is still not uncommon here.

Stroller.