[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy, MythTV .20, Motorola DCT2224, Serial Channel Change Script Woes

Rick Stone rhadenstone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:49:19 UTC 2007

Well, I've spent the better part of two days trying to combat multiple small
problems I've been having with Myth and I don't seem to be any better off
after trying MythDora (I can't stand KDE), KnoppMyth (couldn't figure out
how to do anything outside of Myth, like mount my three drives worth of
media!), and finally going back to Ubuntu Edgy and the .20 debs from the
repos.  Here's where I am now:

1)  I set up Myth as per the Ubuntu install wiki.  Everything seems to go
fine with the setup, after some struggles I can get the output of my Comcast
digital SD box to show up on the coax input of my PVR-150.  I downloaded the
serial channel change script from the Ubuntu wiki and tested it as noted and
it will return the current channel number and I can get it to change
channels from a terminal window.  When I call the script from within Myth
(in the External Channel Change field in mythtv-setup -- either as "channel"
or "/usr/local/bin/channel") nothing happens.  I tried changing the owner of
the file from me to the mythtv user and I am in the mythtv group and mythtv
is in my user group.  I was previously using analog cable, so none of this
was an issue, but I moved last week and RCN doesn't offer service where I
moved and Comcast didn't have an analog only option listed.

2)  I still cannot get Myth to play mp4 files.  They play OUTSIDE of Myth
(any player, you name it and it'll play these files) but Myth will not play
them.  I've asked here a couple of times but to no avail.

I've spent the past 5 hours this morning googling and trying everything I
can think of, but no dice.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!