[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Tom Dombrosky tbdombrosky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:32:57 UTC 2007

> Just thought I would add a couple of options.
>
> You can use a DVB-S card to receive Free To Air satellite feeds. Lyngsat
> is a good place to find listings. Some may be in HD if you are lucky. You
> may need a fairly large dish to receive some of the better FTA stuff out
> there.
>
> I have have also read that you can also use the above(DVB-S) to receive
> Expressvu(canadian provider) HD channels and somehow use your subscribed
> card which is connected via some sort of card reader interface to your PC.
> Seems like a feasible option if you already subscribe to the above service.
> You could simply move your card between your receiver and PC when needed. To
> recieve Dishnetwork(US Provider) there is a device available here http://www.genpix-electronics.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=7&ccSID=684540c2bb4d7469cb96f22f5641b592
> which is connected via USB and also requires the "tuner" module from one
> of the older "6000" series HD Dishnet receivers. This apparently has been
> used with MythTV successfully from some of the reading I have done. Again
> you should be able to use this in conjunction with your subscribed access
> card. This device seems a little pricey at ~$290.
>
> Also I have heard there are new DVB-S2 cards coming out which may make the
> "Genpix" product not needed but no one is certain yet.
>
> Apparently Dishnetwork has begun switching some of their channels to the
> new MPEG4 format which may make neither of the above options work.
>
> Why must they make it so hard to use HD content on out Myth Boxes. :-(
>
> Kevin

Just to add a couple things.  The genpix apparently works with mpeg4
broadcasts.  It has the necessary turbo pec modulation that's required.  The
new DVB-S2 cards won't work with the dish mpeg4 feeds because of the lack of
turbo pec.  This is just from what I have read on the topic as I don't have
any of these cards.

-Tom