[mythtv-users] playback not smooth regardless of source

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Wed Feb 28 19:09:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:03:52PM +0000, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> Mmmm  - you might want to check openglvsync again. Both logs show that
> it isn't being used - are you sure it's compiled in? Though I wouldn't
> expect the setting to appear if it wasn't.

I can only tell you it's turned on in the frontend.  The compilation
wasn't done by me, but by the package maintainer for Ubuntu.  I can
probably look at the source packages to determine how myth was compiled.

> 720p result is good. The last section of that log is what I'd expect
> to see  (when you're showing 1080i) - the std.dev of the video timing
> has dropped to very low levels. This isn't necessarily the greatest
> indicator of playback quality but I know that when everything is
> working well on my main frontend, I get st.deviations of less than 50.
> If the NTSC dvd stream works fine but the pvr150 480x480 doesn't - it
> might point to an issue with the pvr150 settings and hence the mpegs
> its producing.
>
> Otherwise, some of the other log stuff looks 'interesting'.
>
> Probably irrelevant - but the 720p log at one point shows a PAL
> 720x576 video stream. Which is odd... You haven't set the frontend to
> PAL by default have you?

Seems unlikely.

> I'm not familiar with NTSC dvds, but the main streams of that dvd are
> showing as 24fps progressive (ie. film). So I'm not surprised that
> they look ok when displayed at 720p and bad when displayed at 1080i.
> At 1080i the tv will be trying to remove non-existant interlacing
> artefacts and it will be struggling with the frame rate as well. Is
> 24fps film material normal or are you runing an inverse telecine
> filter or something similar?

No filters.

> Have you tried displaying 1080i material from your hdhomerun at 1080i
> without deinterlacing ( another log here might help).

Yes.  I'm fairly certain that the 1080i log I posted yesterday has a bit
where I watched from the HDHomerun.  Without deinterlacing it looks
terrible.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
I used to work in a fire hydrant factory.  You couldn't park anywhere near