[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Feb 28 14:43:51 UTC 2007

Michael Rice wrote:
> I have been thinking about upgrading to HDTV but I am concerned how MythTV
> will fit into that.  I can handle having to upgrade hardware but there seems
> to be other issues that will cause me problems.  Mostly I fear that I won't
> be able to record encrypted cable channels which is going to cause my TV
> viewing habits to regress.
>
> Currently I have a number of premium digital cable channels that I record by
> capturing the output of the cable box.  With MythTV I can record movies from
> HBO and Showtime, etc. and watch them on my schedule.  I also subscribe to
> the NHL package and since the games I am interested in are aired when I am
> working it would be useless if I could not record it.
>
> So at some point these channels become HD and due to copy protection (HDCP?)
> I will not be able to record these channels.  Is this correct or is there
> some solution to this now or coming up?
>
> I would guess I could get a DVR from the cable company (or go back to a new
> Tivo) but that seems like a big regression after using Myth for a year now.
>
> Suggestions?  Comments?

HD in Myth in the US is currently limited to:

1.  Over the air - what you can get from an antenna from local broadcasters
2.  QAM over cable - what you can get *unencrypted* from you cable
provider.  This varies wildly by provider from everything to nothing
3.  Firewire from your cable provider - what you can get *unencrypted*
from your cable provider.  Seems even more varied than QAM in many places
4.  Firewire modified satellite boxes - seems the most risky and prone
to problems but I have no direct experience here

If you're looking for HD premium channels, you're only going to find
that if you are lucky enough to have a cable provider that sends them
unencrypted.

Kevin