[mythtv-users] Playback thinks shows are *hours* too long...

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Wed Feb 28 12:06:24 UTC 2007

I had a strange bug show up Monday.  I've been digging around trying to
characterize it's behavior and see if I can determine the cause, but
right now I'm drawing a blank.

While recording Monday night, the NFS server had a kernel panic (*very*
uncommon since I switched from XFS to ext3).  After rebooting the NFS
server, the backend machine continued recording without a problem.
However, some weirdness ensued.

1) The shows being recorded on the A180 cards showed the proper show
length of 1 hour each on the OSD during playback, unlike when the
antenna drops signal.  Data was missing from the time when the NAS was
offline.  This was unexpected.

2) The show being recorded on the PVR-500 tuner showed a "proper"
length, corresponding to the amount of data actually recorded.  This is
what I would expect.

3) Other programs, including those recorded prior to the incident, now
show durations _hours_ longer than they actually are on the OSD.  Last
night's Daily Show is allegedly over 11 hours long (it's not - and
Mythweb shows the correct duration).  Digging for Truth is 26 hours long.

4) Playing back a show currently being recorded shows proper duration on
the OSD.  Shortly after the recording ended, I tried to skip forward and
it failed.  Exiting the playback and re-entering fixed the skip, but
showed the duration problem (PTI was suddenly 3.5 hours long).

5) Reaching the end of the data will not result in an exit, as the
frontend apparently still thinks there are hours left in the playback.

6) Recording behavior is unaffected.

I've checked the system time on the NAS box, the backend, and the
frontend machines, and they are all correct and match.  Restarting the
backend did not resolve the problem; neither did rebooting the frontend
box.  Unfortunately, I don't have another frontend to test with to help
narrow down the location of the problem.  A cursory examination of the
database, which I'm not very versed in, showed no obvious problems.  The
only other thing I changed on Monday was I turned on user quotas and set
the soft quota for MythTV at about 1TB (recordings are on /home, as are
roaming profiles for my Windows LAN, and I don't want one to break the
other).

I'm kinda stuck scratching my head.  It's not really a functional
problem - but it sure is a serious annoyance.  I was unable to find a
reference to this in either Trac or the list archives (tho I may have
been searching for the wrong terms).  Anyone have any ideas, or links to
relevant information, before I consider submitting an official bug report?