[mythtv-users] Mailinglist usage ?

Erland Isaksson erland_i at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:03:46 UTC 2007

Hi

I'm used to discuss things in web based discussion forums and I'm new to
this mailing list stuff. So I would appreciate some tips about how to
use the mailing list in a good way.

Here is my situation:
1. I have a question once in a while, maybe once per month or once every
second month or so.
2. Sometimes I read/search the mailing list at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com and wants to answer to a post since I
think I know the answer.

My problem is that the only way I have found to answer a question
someone else has posted is to subscribe on the mailing list the whole
time. This means that I will recieve houndreds/thousands of mails from
the mailing list every month and the only thing I want to be able to do
is answering a question once in a while. I could of course just answer
the question by sending a completely new mail to the mailing list, but
the risk is that the original author just looks in the threaded view in
the mailing list or at gossamer-threads and won't notice the answer
since it will appear as a completely new thread.
I also need to either manually every day go through all messages in the
inbox and delete all that I know I never is going to know the answer to,
or I can do as I do know just keep every message just in case I sometime
in the future and wants to respond to it. Obviously this will be a lot
of wasted disk space. The mail reader is already configured to move all
mails from the mailing list to a separate folder so they at least
doesn't fill up the standard inbox.

So, is there a good way of handling the mailing list that I'm not aware
of that would make it easier to work with ?

I've read the discussions related to introducing a discussion forums and
I am aware of the fact that this doesn't seem to be popular, so please
just answer how I can improve the mailing list and don't turn this into
a flame war regarding forum or mailing list.

Regards
Erland