[mythtv-users] strange hard drive activity,

Brock Palen brockp at michiganlivestock.com
Wed Feb 28 03:26:02 UTC 2007

I have used myth in the past but have only recently gotten back into
it.  I have been following the instructions at:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

My rig consists of a AMD xp2000  (1.6 Ghz) 512MB and a GeForce4 4400.
It is a fresh install of Fedora core 6 my uname -a is:

Linux myth 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Feb 10 15:51:47 EST 2007 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

basically i when trying to do live tv (or even a recording while not
watching)  Ii see huge amounts of io on my disk that is not used my
myth.  I have 2 disks,  one has / /boot on it, the other is a LVM
disk with a XFS file system mounted at /mnt/video.  I symlinked /var/
lib/mythvideo -> /mnt/video/mythvideo  Same with Mythdvd mythaudio.
mythtvsetup was set to /mnt/video and its all owned by the myth
user,  i see the 1048_20070227221819.nuv (ring buffer? ) files being
written to the right location.  So thats all fine.  I also only see
write activity to the / drive.  No read, but disk usage never goes up.

I can even see the hard drive activity light on all the time when
watching or recording tv.  The drive ware the data is written to only
sees about  .5MB/s write.  (RTJpeg its a frame grabber card)  What
could be causing this?

Now here is ware its strange.  If i shutdown the backend and
frontend,  start them back up, saw 'watch TV'  I do not have the
problem,  as soon as i change a channel, the problem crops up.  It
doesn't always happen though.

Has anyone ever seen a similar problem?

Brock Palen
brockp at michiganlivestock.com