[mythtv-users] playback not smooth regardless of source

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:03:25 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> >  - if possible, try displaying at 480i (i.e. normal, interlaced
> > standard def) using opengl vsync and no deinterlacer. I'm assuming
> > you're using dvi and that your monitor/tv can support it.
>
> Yes I'm using DVI.
>
> Isn't one of the advantages of using something like MythTV the ability
> to 'upscale' video?  When I watch a DVD on my Zenith DVD player it can
> upscale to 1080i.  People on this list have talked about upscaling *all*
> of their video.  To put it mildly it would be extraordinarily
> disappointing if I could only watch DVDs at 480p or SD at 480i.  I will
> wonder why I even bothered to build a myth box when I could have just
> bought a DVR.

I wasn't necessarily assuming you'd use it on a day to day basis -
just trying to find out what does work for you as a starting point.

It's worth pointing out that it probably doesn't matter whether you're
display using 480 or 720p/1080i. With the former the tv does the
scaling, with the latter your video drivers/card do it. In fact, if
your tv isn't 720p/1080i native resolution it will do additional
scaling anyway (but probably OT).

The GUI does look much better in 720p though!

> I'll happily send over more logs.

Can you post some using 1080i, no deinterlacing and openglvsync and
720p, bobdeint and openglvsync.

Regards

Mark