[mythtv-users] Homebrew Serial Receiver Problems

John jharitos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 23:17:00 UTC 2007

I could be wrong but I don't believe the serial port
has a true power source coming from one of the pins so
you probably won't get a steady voltage coming from
any of the pins.

I built a homebrew receiver but I used the USB port so
I'm somewhat familiar with this. First of all, I'd
reboot and do a #setserial -g /dev/ttyS* to make sure
the port you're setting off is truly the ttyS0. Then
once that looks good, I'd do a

#cd /dev/lirc
#ls -asl

You shouldn't have anything since you haven't
modprobe'd yet.

with the device plugged in do a modprobe lirc_serial
the do a #ls -asl to see what's created based on your
post it should be /dev/lirc/0 make sure this is
correct.

Then start lircd. I'd start it this way

lircd --device=/dev/lirc/0 --output=/dev/lircd

make sure the lircd output device was created then
instead of using mode2 I'd use xmode2

#xmode2 -d /dev/lircd

push some buttons on any IR remote and you should see
the waveform.