[mythtv-users] HD on SDTV playback question

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:55:47 UTC 2007

On 2/26/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> <much clip-age>
> Both those links are wrong in their assumption that video tearing has
> anything to do with the difference between the cards. I saw tearing
> with my 5200 and upgraded to the 6200 to try and get rid of it. Sadly,
> no dice. It seems the HD tearing issue has been solved (dare I say
> that?) with the 9xxx series drivers and the "UseEvents" option.

One other thing I found can make a big difference, when dealing with
higher resolution playback, IE 1080i/p, is a card with faster RAM, IE
GDDR2 or GDDR3. I have two identically GPU'd cards, a 5500 and a
5700ultra. Even when clocked at the same GPU clock, in the same
machine,  the 5500 tears at 1080 and the 5700 ultra doesn't.

The 5500 has a 400mhz memory clock and DDR1, while the 5700ultra has a
 memory clock of 500mhz memory clock, and DDR2.

Just one more thing to factor in.