[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: MPlayer/FFmpeg can handle hd-dvd/Blu-ray video now (.evo rips)

genestapp at charter.net genestapp at charter.net
Mon Feb 26 10:18:52 UTC 2007

I spent a few hours on my off day this week messing around with hd-dvd and blu-ray .evo files. These are basically the full hd-dvd and blu-ray discs with protection removed and ripped into .evo files. I own departed, sleepy hollow and batman begins in HD format so those are the ones I messed with...

After compiling mplayer from SVN and installing, all I had to do was add the .evo format to myth video and have it call the standard mplayer external command line.

Definitely the best looking HD video I've gotten out of my myth box. No frame rate problems at all. I'm using a dual core Intel D 830. The picture was comparable to the PS3 and a bit nicer than my xbox 360 with hd drive... still waiting on the Google summer of code project for this year to get the E-AC3 sound format supported but once that is done we should be able to play these from the Linux/myth box with minimal trouble (although if you want to keep/archive these rips you would need massive storage... 25GB at minimum per rip). Also I think it's only a matter of time before linux supports blu-ray and hd-dvd drives with some form of software to allow playback.
a good info link is:
http://codecs.multimedia.cx/ - Kostya's Wild Codec World