[mythtv-users] Trouble with ALSA and Lirc

Jeremy Gillick myth at mozmonkey.com
Mon Feb 26 06:25:00 UTC 2007

I'm at my wits end trying to get my new remote to work and thought the
lirc with alsa driver would do the trick.

I built the circuit (http://www.lirc.org/ir-audio.html) with some
modifications to reuse the Hauppauge receiver and get power from a spare
USB plug.  It seems to work.  When it's plugged in and I press buttons I
hear the bumps, pops and beeps.

Then I compiled lirc with the alsa driver.  Everything seemed to install
fine.

Now, following the instructions
(http://www.lirc.org/html/audio-alsa.html) I try to use arecord.  For
some reason the U8 format doesn't work and I get this error:

    $ arecord -D hw:0,3 -r8000 -c1 -f U8
    RIFF$??WAVEfmt @data??Recording WAVE 'stdout' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate
    8000 Hz, Mono
    arecord: set_params:896: Sample format non available

I have to change the channel switch to c2 and the format to S16_LE to
get it to show me anything (arecord -D hw:0,3 -r8000 -c2 -f S16_LE).
However, now I turn down the line-in in volume and /should/ only see
junk on the screen when I press a button, but continue to see the page
scroll with extra crap.  I've muted all other input items in alsamixer
and have set line-in to capture.

When I try to run 'irrecord -d hw:0,3 file' I get the following messages:

    irrecord -  application for recording IR-codes for usage with lirc

    Copyright (C) 1998,1999 Christoph Bartelmus(lirc at bartelmus.de)

    irrecord: ALSA function snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format returned error:
    Invalid argument
    irrecord: hw_params_set_format: Success
    irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it,
    check permissions)

I've verified that lircd is not running, however, there seems to be a
process called lirc_dev.

Just as extra information, here's my audio device list:

    $ arecord -l
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH
    [Intel 82801DB-ICH4]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC
    ADC [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC ADC]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 2: Intel ICH -
    MIC2 ADC [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC2 ADC]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 3: Intel ICH -
    ADC2 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - ADC2]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any ideas?