[mythtv-users] Off Topic: Auto mount samba shares

Joacim J jocke4news at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 23:06:10 UTC 2007

I have some problems with the mounting (testing samba first)

The server have a share that looks like:
[movies]
        browseable = no
        read list = annelie,andrew,+annelie,+andrew
        path = /var/filez1/movies
        write list = joacim,+joacim
        force group = nobody
        force user = nobody
        comment = Movies
        inherit acls = Yes
And then I tries to mount that on the client (as root):

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/movies /home/joacim/FRODO/Movies/ -o
username=joacim,password=mypassword,uid=nobody,gid=nobody,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

The mount works but the permissions are not what I want. I want it to be
forced to "nobody" and the mounted directory/files switches into "nobody"
and I can not write to the files or create new ones. Mounting in WinXP using
"joacim" and "mypassword" works just fine and the files are "chown" to
"nobody"

Have I missed any configuration option or .... ???

Best Regards
Joacim

On 2/22/07, Bill Chmura <Bill at explosivo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:01:44 +0100
> "Joacim J" <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > er. I will consider the options.
> > I also have NFS for some shares but not for the ones  that are  valid in
> > this case but  (also accessed from Windows). I will start tests with NFS
> > mounting at boot time and see how it works.
> > The server is up 24/7 (almost :) )
>
> I've not tried in a bit, but originally I had some speed issues with video
> and stuff over samba versus nfs.  I did some file transfer comparisons and
> NFS was a lot faster (at the time).  That being said, I've had a lot of pain
> getting user permissions correct for NFS writeable mounts.  NFS for READ
> ONLY is very nice.

Regards
Joacim