[mythtv-users] Easy to use 802.11G wireless card/USB for mythbox? Suggestions?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 24 21:26:11 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:

>On 23 Feb 2007, at 19:49, Jared Greenwald wrote:
>

>>>Save yourself alot of trouble and get a wireless bridge.  It is
>>>external
>>>to your Linux OS and therefore has no driver issues.
>>>

>>D-Link makes (or used to make) a 108G Access Point that you could
>>convert to a bridge using WDS.  Not sure if they still make them,
>>but when I got my two they were about $50.
>>

>I _ think_ WDS does more than bridging - it will also act as "range
>extension" of several hops and can be used for "mesh networks". I
>think you can also WDS with the OpenWRT firmware which runs on many
>Linksys & other routers.
>
>I think that the wireless bridge that Mr Kuphal suggests is simpler
>than WDS if the MythTV box is within decent reception of the master
>AP, and you can buy such devices off-the-shelf, eg <http://
>www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G810-Ethernet-Wireless-Adapter/dp/
>B0000CEPCH>. These are basically just a client to the wireless
>network (with a web interface to set SSID & WEP key) and which
>transparently integrates the WLAN with its ethernet port(s); these
>are sure to work with Linux and are often sold as "gaming adaptors"
>because their most common application is with a PlayStation2 or Xbox.

This is what I ended up doing. The device made a lot of sence to me
since I also want to attach a HDHomeRun to the bridge/4-port router
which is also connected to my backend system. That puts those devices on
a good local link. I may end up using a second nic card and cross-over
cable and direct connect the HDHR. DEpends on if there are any
performance issues.

Time will tell....

William