[mythtv-users] What HDTV capture card has the most support?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 15:31:51 UTC 2007

On 2/24/07, Kevin Ould <crippler75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/24/07, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> > I presently have a MythTV box with two Hauppauge cards (a 150 and a 350),
> and it is working well for me.  I am considering adding an HDTV capture
> card, to receive over-the-air HDTV signals.  All the local broadcast
> stations broadcast in HDTV, and I live downtown in the middle of a city,
> within spitting distance of several TV stations, so receiving HDTV
> over-the-air should be no problem.
> >
> > I would hate to purchase an HDTV capture card and find that it doesn't
> work well with MythTV, or that the driver support is still buggy, or
> something.  (I had that experience with a HVR-1600; I saw a really, really
> good deal on one, then found out it is totally unsupported.  I'm glad I
> checked before buying it)  So, what HDTV capture card(s) have the best
> support under MythTV and Linux, and are available at reasonable prices?
> >

> I am using an Avermedia A180 that I have used both in Windows and nowut uy
> Linux/Myth with no problems whatsoever. Worked right out of the box and it
> was relatively cheap at less than $100.
>
> Kevin

I've got two A180's and they work great. I would also recommend
looking into the HDHomeRun, its an external box that connects via
Ethernet and has two tuners. Their driver developer worked closely
with the MythDev's to get support in MythTV and it works quite well.
If I were building a new system I'd go with the HDHomeRun and save
some PCI slots.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!