[mythtv-users] Devices keep moving causing backend to not startup

Jeffrey Born jeff.born at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:03:53 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/02/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> > > I just helped a friend do this.  For the PVR, you can set in your
> > > modprobe.conf an options like:
> > >
> > > options ivtv ivtv_first_minor 1
> > >
> > > Which would force the ivtv to start with 1 and 2.   I think the
> > > first_minor is enough because if the HD3000 loads first, it takes 0
> and
> > > ivtv starts at 1.  If ivtv loads first, it starts at 1 and 2 and then
> > > the HD3000 will load and grab 0
> >
> > Or, udev rules.  See http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html and
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/236293#236293 (whole
> > thread) and
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/211701#211701 (and
> > the rest of that thread)
>
> And from the ivtvdriver.org site -
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto#Howto_use_udev_rules.21
>
> Nick

OK so I went the udev route and now see /dev/pvr_500_1 and /dev/pvr_500_2
but when I go to use these from mythtvsetup all I see is /dev/video0 and
/dev/video1.  The Card type I'm working with is MPEG-2 encoder card
(PVR-x50, PVR-500) for both.  Once that card type is selected I can select
/dev/video0 or /dev/video1 for the video device, but I expected
/dev/pvr_500_1 and /dev/pvr_500_2.  Am I crazy to expect those symlink names
to be available?  What am I missing?

Thanks for the advice