[mythtv-users] Easy to use 802.11G wireless card/USB for mythbox? Suggestions?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:12:18 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Peter A. Daly <petedaly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/07, Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > D-Link makes (or used to make) a 108G Access Point that you could
> > convert to a bridge using WDS.  Not sure if they still make them, but when I
> > got my two they were about $50.
>

> The gaming adapters (like my D-Link DWL-G820) don't require any
> configuration on the access point side (WDS).  Of course it only has one
> ethernet port and can't be used as an access point.
>
> If simplicity is what your goal is, a gaming adapter might be best for
> you.  If you don't mind mucking around with WDS, a second wireless router
> configured as a bridge may be more your speed.  It's a trade off.
>
> In my case, my access point doesn't support WDS and I wanted something
> that "would just work."
>

> http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G820-Wireless-Adapter-802-11g/dp/B0002MH3HE?tag2=gp04-20
>
> -Pete
>
> -Jared

You don't need to "muck" with WDS to get this all working.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

That's what I'm doing at home now.  One router downstairs (standard OEM
firmware on WRT54GS) connecting to my WRT54G running dd-wrt as a.
Technically, it's not WDS because that uses MAC addies to help establish the
connection.  It works, it's simple and rock solid.

Jim