[mythtv-users] WriteAudio: buffer underruns without prebuffering pauses (SOLVED - almost)

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 18:41:46 UTC 2007

adeffs.mythtv at gmail wrote:
> make sure your NVAGP setting is back to the default, and disable the
> Aggressive sound card buffering (the regular extra audio buffering
> should be enough).
>
> What CPU do you have?

When you get the prebuffer pauses do you notice
> a large spike in CPU? or is it steadily high with the occasional jump
> (like a 90% steady with a blip higher during a scene change or high
> motion)?

Steve,

Thanks for your support on this.

I've reset my NVAGP setting back to "2"; but tonight I'll comment out
this line in my xorg.conf file.

Aggressive sound card buffering is already off.

Extra audio buffering is also off.  I'll turn it back on for my testing tonight.

My CPU?   cat /proc/cpuinfo reports: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+.

Side commentary:  I originally built this box for a standard
definition TV.  I never expected to be able to get this CPU to be able
to drive HDTV without XVMC.  But now I am so close, it's become an
obsession.

Did I see a spike in CPU usage, like during a scene change?  I was
flipping back and forth to a window running top to monitor the CPU
load.  I did not notice any spikes.  Tonight I will run "vmstat 1"
which will provide a log containing the CPU load in one second
intervals.  That should catch any spikes.

Tom