[mythtv-users] No channels on Nova-T-500

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Fri Feb 23 09:59:34 UTC 2007

Hi Mark,
Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 2/23/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:
>> Previously when I set up Xorg it supported this resolution fine:
>>
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "1360x768"
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "1024x768"
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "800x600"
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480"
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1360 x 768
>>
>> but now I'm on a custom 2.6.20 kernel to get the nova-t working I get
>>
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1360x768" (no mode of this name)
>>
>> Which really sucks.
>
> There are some recent threads on this subject. If you're using a more
> recent nvidia driver, you may need to tweak your xorg.cong slightly
> otherwise the mode is rejected (run startx -- -logverbose 5 to get
> more info).

I was about to remark that it's the same driver that worked before
Kernel upgrade - but thinking about it there is a possibility that it
wasn't.  I'll investigate and report back.

> Search for something along the lines of 'custom modeline rejected 9xxx'
>
> If this is one of the 'standard' Samsung LCDs, you'll get much better
> picture quality if you can drive it over DVI. VGA at 1360x768 is
> usually 60Hz only but if you use DVI you can get a 50Hz refresh rate
> which is much better suited to your 50Hz PAL source. (Though I'm
> assuming that your MX4000 doesn't support DVI out)

It doesn't support DVI out, although if it makes a big difference I'll
invest in a better card.  I only bought this one because of price and
because it was fanless.

I was very happy with the native resolution of 1360x768 over VGA but
obviously any improvements would be cool.

Many thanks for the helpful post

Dave