[mythtv-users] Can't get smooth HD playback with GeForce 5200

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 23 03:15:09 UTC 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 21:54, MythTV wrote:

> This problem has been plagueing me from the start, approximately 1.5
> months ago.  I think I've narrowed down my issue to the driver
> performance of the GeForce 5200.  I've sent one email out questioning
> the power of my system; that email and responses are below.  I am now
> confident that my system is fast enough.

Your cpu is fine. Would like one clarification though, will get to
that in a sec... (Haven't read the whole thread)

> So, here's where I stand:
>
> I have tried many different tutorials to get the NVIDIA drivers
> installed.  There is so much information, in so many places, dated at
> such different times, that I am totally flustered...  I hope that
> someone can help streamline me.
>
> Following "http://www.stanton-finley.net/
> fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia", I just ended up with a
> blank screen after I select "Watch TV" in mythTV frontend.  I did
> notice that System-->Display Settings-->Hardware properly identified
> my video card when "nvidia-1.0-9746 - Vendor-supplied driver for
> nvidia-1.0-9746 cards" is selected.
>
> Jerod's NVIDIA 9746 tutorial, "http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/
> fcmyth.php#video", installed almost as he described but I had the
> same blank screen problem.  I found a posting that says 9746 is
> incompatible with the GeForce 5200 and that I should use 7667.
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-80314.html)  So I set
> off to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7667-pkg2.run.

Whoever said the 9746 driver was incompatible with a 5200 is a moron.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-9746/README/
appendix-a.html

Okay, looked at the ubuntuforums thread. That's ancient. The 9000-
series drivers weren't even around yet (let alone the 8000-series). I
would pay no attention to that. 9746 is the one to use right now.

[...]
> The only driver that consistently works is "nvidia - Vendor-supplied
> driver for nvidia cards" which I think is the generic driver with
> Fedora Core 6.  (Although this driver does not recognize my card by
> name.)  It has been suggested to me to look at the /var/log/Xorg.
> 0.log.  It doesn't mention anything about XvMC, v4l, or anything else
> mentioned in the video tutorials.  I have attached the log file at
> the end of this email.

Nope, the generic driver is 'nv'.

[...]
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
[...]
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5200 at PCI:
> 2:1:0:

Pretty sure this is the crux of your problem right here. Best as I
can tell, you have a straight PCI card (PCI-e cards show up
similarly, but mention pci-e link width, fairly sure AGP cards show
up as AGP). Is that indeed the case?

You *need* a PCI-express or AGP card for HDTV, the PCI bus will get
overwhelmed trying to move that much data.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com