[mythtv-users] REPAIR/OPTIMIZE in HouseKeeper (was Re: Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase)

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Feb 23 00:40:09 UTC 2007

> solved decades ago.  Unfortunately, between MySQL's whole-table-locking

 You can avoid this by using innodb instead of myisam as has been
mentioned before on this list. Though I agree, since most are using myisam
we definately want to avoid having the database writes done the way they are
now.

> as per the discussion of a few weeks ago], and MySQL's need for
> constant maintenance (*), I really wish it was possible to use any

 You know, it's funny. I've been using mysql "professionally" in my day to
day work, on literally hundreds of machines including my own  on everything
from tiny to massive databases and I have never had to do more than a repair
on a table when a machine lost power mid disk write.  The only time I've had
anything "Weird" happen and got "spontaneous" corruption was what turned out
to be a XFS bug causing data corruption all over the partition.

 This is on many types of hardware, for many applications on several OS's.

 Am I just lucky or what?