[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 22 22:49:58 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 15:46:28 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 19:19:52 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Note to self: remember to borrow that core solo from down the hall in
> > the office...
>
> Woo! I remembered to remember the note to self. I've got a core solo
> sitting on my desk that I'm poking at now... (under linux atm, will also
> see what I can see under OS X at some point).

Okay, so its time to amend my earlier statement. A core solo[*] HD frontend is
probably a stretch, but not by a huge amount. Its definitely on the ragged
edge just playing back 1080i material with mplayer (cpu usage occasionally
drops to 90%, most of the time is pegged, and this is without a deint
filter). 720p playback is of course a bit better, often leaving the cpu more
than 10% idle.

And wow. With mythtv built from svn of today, playback is actually even better
than with mplayer. The cpu is pegged on both 1080i and 720p, but the playback
is pretty damned good (still no deint filter though).

Gonna have to haul this thing home and hook it up to a 1080p display and see
how it holds up...

[*] Mac Mini w/Intel Core Solo @ 1.5GHz, 512M RAM

--
Jarod Wilson