[mythtv-users] Channel Reception Issues

ryanlists79 at gmail.com ryanlists79 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:03:58 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:17 AM, ryanlists79 at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I've been trying to figure this out for the last few weeks, and am
>> pretty frustrated.  On certain channels, mainly 3 (ABC), 4 (NBC), 43
>> (Cartoon Network) & 69 (Spike), I am having what appear to be
>> reception
>> issues.  Basically I have small "bars" rolling across the screen.  On
>> channel 69, they are color, red and a semi-green, and sometimes
>> roll up
>> and down, and sometimes they don't roll at all.  On channel 3 they are
>> just darker & lighter bars, almost a change in brightness, and scroll
>> from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner.  On channel 4,
>> they are similar to channel 3, but smaller, a bit more subtle, and
>> scroll directly up.  And channel 43 is an even more subtle version of
>> channel 4.
>>
>> You can see screen shots from channels 3 & 69 on my flickr site:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/83544026@N00/
>>

> What you have are called "beats" in the vernacular. They are caused
> by a carrier mixing or "beating" with the visual carrier causing
> hetrodyne products that fall within the baseband video frequency range.
>
> The fact that they are more or less steady indicates that the
> interfering carrier is more or less CW (ie" not modulated), and more
> or less "on" a multiple/submultiple of the horizontal scan frequency
> or, possibly, the vertical scan rate. The source is almost certainly
> from your computer somehow. If the interfering beats are moving
> slowly it indicates that the beat product is merely "close" to a
> multiple/submultiple of the scan frequency, and as the beat gets
> farther and farther away from such multiple (moving faster and
> faster) it eventually gets unrecognizable as a "beat" and rather just
> results in a general fuzziness or lack of detail in the baseband video.
>
> If they are absolutely stationary then they are right on some
> multiple or sub-multiple of the horizontal scan frequency. You could
> theoretically count the number of bars and thus calculate the precise
> frequency of the interfering beat (actually there would be 2 possible
> solutions, depending on whether the interfering carrier was above or
> below the scan frequency). There's no real point in doing this
> because it would not help you in eliminating the problem.
>
> The beats *could* be third-order products happening in the RF realm,
> and being enhanced by cheap tuner on the PVR card. You could try
> attenuating the signal going into the card. The bottom line here is
> that expecting broadcast-quality performance from a $100 card is
> pretty much the height of optimism.
>
> But what you're interested in is what you can do about it. From the
> behavior you describe it sounds like it's happening in the recording
> itself, you could prove that by playing the mpeg back on another
> machine.
>
> You could try moving cards and/or cables around inside your case.
> [...]
well crap.... :)  At least I have a better idea of what I'm fighting.
I'll try the "headless" idea, but I think the last time I did this, the
machine never actually booted.  Of course at that point, I could have
had other problems.

Anyway, I'll give it a try and post my results.  Thanks for the info.