[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:40:52 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Justin Kim <justinlkim at gmail.com> wrote:
> At 7:48 PM -0500 2/21/07, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
>
> >I have been using a Core Duo Mini 1.66GHz (the slowest core duo Mini
> >made.. ordered the day the intel minis were announced), and it plays
> >720p and 1080i material very well.    My display is 720p, so I haven't
> >run into any 1080p scaling issues.    For 1080i playback, both CPUs
> >are pretty well utilized, so I doubt you could do it with a core solo.
>
> What build of the FE are you running?  I'd love to get 1080i running
> well on my 1.86 CD machine.  The settings switching when I go back
> and forth between SD and HD is getting tiresome.

I have used many SVN versions, form a few months before 0.20 release
until building a new version a few weeks ago.   The pre-0.20 stuff was
taking almost 100% of my CPU.  When MMX enhanced colorspace conversion
was added with 0.20, I got quite a bit of CPU headroom.

I just run the plain vanilla build generated with osx-packager.pl (if
you have XCode installed.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Myth_on_Mac_x86 )

Is your display output 1080P?

> My impression is that my machine is just a little bit too slow.  The
> video plays, but there's a lot of stuttering and frame dropping.

How does CPU utilization look in 'top' while playing 1080i?   The
"Shark" tool with XCode gives good information about where CPU is
being used, if you find your CPU is pegged.