[mythtv-users] Image Quality PVR-500

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Feb 21 05:19:52 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> But my comments still apply, good design requires a lot of bypass
> capacitors and/or series inductances, both of which are expensive,
> and the makers want to cheap out any way they can.
>
> I never thought I'd see the day when a million-transistor device was
> "cheap", and a lousy capacitor was costly, but that's the way it is
> today.

Yup.  If my theory is correct, external tuner devices (like USB tuners)
ought to give cleaner video than internal cards.  (I've heard
audiophiles prefer external audio capture devices, for the same reason.)
 I haven't tested this, though.  I do, in multislot machines, try to put
sound cards and tuner cards as far as possible from other cards,
especially video cards.