[mythtv-users] Undelete - new feature idea

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Feb 21 03:51:26 UTC 2007

* On Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 09:31:50PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> I see no reason to have a separate 'undelete' feature, since, really, it's the
> exact same functionally as toggling the auto-expire flag on a recording.

To be honest, the 'Delete Queue' Recording Group concept has been in
the back of my mind since I added Recording Groups and the Job Queue.
Originally I wasn't sure if I saw it being done via adding a JobQueue
entry to be processed some time in the future or by making a Delete
Queue group that would get expired before anything else.  I can see
some overlap with the autoexpire flag for a recording, but also can
see wanting shows that I've watched (and said it's OK to Delete) being
expired before other un-important shows that I've set to autoexpire in
their Scheduled Recording entry.

I'm one of the people who Deletes things when they are done watching
them, but there have often been times when I've wanted to go back and
rewatch a scene in a program after talking with someone at work or
elsewhere. :)

The only changes I would see being made would be to allow the "Delete"
functions/buttons on the Watch Recordings screen and during playback to
actually trigger a Recording Group change and then to make the
expirer order this group first before regular recordings that are set
to auto-expire.  If people are using the expirer to control their free
space, they shouldn't care how much actual free space there is.  I can
see including this kind of info in when I eventually get around to
implementing #1116 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1116) which I
put off until after I 'finished' Storage Groups.  I've wanted to provide
enough info to get at the following 4 numbers, Free Space, Expirable
Space, Non-Expirable In-Use (by Myth) Space, and Total Space.  These
numbers will also be useful in more intelligent scheduling of disk
space by the Storage Groups code.

For those that do let Auto-Expire handle their free disk space, these
numbers come in handy because they know how much they have that can
be expired before they fill up with things that absolutely can't, be
it WAF, GAF, or KidsAF, etc.. :)

All that being said, I don't have any current plans of implementing
anything like this, but if I were going to work on it, the only mods
I'd be making would be to modify (optionally) what happens when you
press DELETE, and fix the expirer to put these recordings in the
auto-expire list after LiveTV but before normal autoexpire recordings.
The first time my daughter accidentilly deletes a recording that
I'm in the middle of watching because she picked up the remote and
somehow managed to delete the program before I could get it out of
her hands, you can expect me to be more interested in this feature. :)
She already loves the remote control.  I had to dig out an old
One-4-All set to invalid codes for her to play with, but she's drawn
to the only white remote in the house which is the one that controls
mythfrontend in the living room.

--
Chris