[mythtv-users] Myth BE/FE version compatibility

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 20 02:27:32 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 20:42, Chad wrote:

> On 2/19/07, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am running an older 0.18 backend (FC3) and am planning to build a
>> frontend, probably using an Xbox.  What, if any, compatibility
>> restrictions
>> exist between the BE and the FE?   I've read some posts about a
>> newer FE
>> trying to upgrade the database on the older BE, but I am not sure
>> about
>> this.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Different versions of mythtv are incompatible.  So, a 0.18 backend
> could only run 0.18 frontends.  If you had a 0.19 frontend, it would
> not be able to communicate with a 0.18 backend.  This also applies to
> -fixes.  0.20 and 0.20 fixes are not compatible as they are
> technically different 'releases'.

Not quite. Its entirely possible for 0.x and 0.x-fixes to be
compatible, it just happens that one of the fixes in 0.20-fixes
introduced changes in the protocol version, making it incompatible
with 0.20. But general rule of thumb is indeed to always run the same
code base everywhere.

/me thinks its maybe due time for a 0.20.1 release... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com