[mythtv-users] strange 1920x540 with nvidia

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 20 01:31:22 UTC 2007

Seth Daniel wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:07:35AM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was having issues with the default binary nvidia driver that comes
>>> with Ubuntu Edgy.  I could get a 1920x1080i display on my CRT RPTV but
>>> whenever I tried to play video, whether it be through Myth or through
>>> mplayer I'd just get a blank, black screen and my Xorg.0.log would have
>>> tons of the following in it:
>>>
> [...snip...]
>

>> Here's the modes X.org will accept from your EDID info,
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): --- Modes in ModePool for JVC AV-56WP84HA (DFP-0) ---
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select" : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
>> Interlace  (from: EDID)
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"          : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
>> Interlace  (from: EDID)
>>
> [...snip...]
>

>> you can ignore any of the "from: X Server" modes as they most likely won't work.
>> I'd stick with
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"          : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
>> Interlace  (from: EDID)
>> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x720"           : 1280 x  720 @  60.0 Hz  (from: EDID)
>> for your xorg.conf,
>>  Modes       "1920x1080" "1280x720"
>>
>> then check the myth logs ("-v all") to see if it gives you any errors,
>> etc. as to why you get a blank screen. It could be its trying to
>> switch to a different resolution or that Xv isn't initializing
>> correctly.
>>

> Steve,
>
> The problem is that when I select the 1920x1080 mode I get only a
> 'virtual' screen of 1920x1080 (the nvidia driver calls this the
> 'backend' resolution).  I get a visible screen (frontend) of 1920x540.
> Everything is chopped off in the middle (video playback is chopped in
> the middle, the mythtv frontend is chopped in the middle, etc...).
> This is with the 9xxx nvidia drivers.
>
> When I use the 8xxx driver I can get 1920x1080i, but I get the black
> screen when trying to play any video.  If I am using, say, mplayer to
> play something at this resolution then mplayer will become nearly
> impossible to kill and the window it created will not un-map even if I
> 'kill -9' the mplayer process (the process will eventually go away but
> the black, empty window sticks around).  The only potential error
> messages that I see are the '(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT(...)' messages that I
> get in my Xorg.0.log file.  The myth logs say nothing when I try to
> watch tv at 1920x1080i with the 8xxx drivers.
>
> Currently I am running everything at 1280x720p.  It looks fine but I
> know my TV can do 1920x1080i. :-(

This wouldn't happen to be a sony tv would it?
I'm having similar problems with any interlaced mode usng the 9xxx drivers.
It think it's a problem with the edid and how the driver interprets it.
Drivers 8756 seems to interpret it properly, but I wanted to have the
useevents option.
The mode is defined as 1920x540 in EDID.

What is the native resolution of the TV?

Calvin