[mythtv-users] Always record like TiVO (was Re: OT: Interestingstudy on HDD failure by Googlelabs)

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 00:48:29 UTC 2007

> I'm not trying to be sarcastic here--I really want to understand your
> proposal--but how is a 30-minute ringbuffer better than just recording
> everything and deleting the oldest stuff when space is needed.  Granted,
> it antagonizes the people who think they need to know how much space is
> available on disk, but ignoring that, why would you think that only the
> last 30-minutes from any point in time is worth having on disk?  (Or, is
> it because you want to know how much space is available on disk?)

I was a 5 year TiVo user before going to Myth.  I think his point is
that you can sometimes sit down, see some show in progress, and think,
"Oh wow, I'd really like to see that full (news story, sitcom, movie
that just started, etc...), and if you just hit record, it transfers
the "ringbuffer" into a recording for the current show, and will start
from 30 minutes in the past.  So, I could sit down 15 minutes into
some show I didn't know was on, or I don't normally record, and
capture the whole thing.