[mythtv-users] Always record like TiVO (was Re: OT: Interestingstudy on HDD failure by Googlelabs)

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:24:41 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >On 02/19/2007 12:20 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> >> One of the points they make:
> >>    Contrary to previously reported results, we found
> >>    very little correlation between failure rates and ei­
> >>    ther elevated temperature or activity levels.
> >>
> >> I remember a while ago disk failure due to wear was brought forward as
> >> reason against tivo-like "always record with all tuners" functionality
> >> in mythtv.
> >
> >Right.  As you said, /a/ reason.  Not /the/ reason.  ;)
> >
> >>  Time to reconsider that... :)
> >
> >As is people are/have been whining about the fact that LiveTV is only
> >expired once per day so they can't "see how much disk space is
> >available".  If tuners were always recording, there would always be 0
> >space available (although, perhaps on only one of potentially many
> >partitions with the new Storage Groups).
>
> When I said "tivo-like", I really meant "like tivo"... ;)
> That means a 30 minute (or some other configurable amount) on-disk
> ringbuffer per tuner. Hardly something that'll fill up your hard
> drive.

Ah. This is one of those things that is only going to appeal to users who
use LiveTV then.

Personally I prefer Michael's proposal, with the addition that I'd want Myth
to chop up the recording into shows the way LiveTV does. It's be nice if it
skipped recording duplicate showings as well.

Cheers,
Steve