[mythtv-users] OT: politically incorrect

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 19 20:48:48 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 13:07, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Brian wrote:
> > OUCH! I didn't intend for that interpretation! Shame on you! :)
>
> It does, however, point out a politically-incorrect but none-the-less
> true fact, most computer types are guys. There have of course been
> notable exceptions, but the rule holds true in most cases, look at
> the list here.
>
> Not just computers but electronics and engineering in general. I'm
> not sure why this is, it doesn't require any great physical strength,
> and in many ways women think more sanely than men, but I've simply
> observed over the years that I don't see too many women in technical
> fields.
>
> Not really sure why.

Could be that the teachers were all guys.  Guys understand guys and girls
understand girls.  If the tech/eng/physical science teachers are all guys,
than the guys will excel in those subjects.  That's how it was for my
generation.

Things are changing nowadays.

Here's an example:  At the high school were my wife teaches, ALL of the
highend math/science teachers are women.  The Chemistry, Physics, Biology,
Advanced Math, Calculus teachers are all women (all 3 of them, its a little
school in a backwater town.)  In the five years that my wife has taught
there, she has seen two really good boy students, and over a dozen really
good girls.  That ratio is the opposite of what things were like 20 years
ago.

Mark