[mythtv-users] Google GalleryPlayer

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon Feb 19 19:00:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:42:50 -0800
Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those who haven't seen it, Google GalleryPlayer
> (http://www.galleryplayer.com/default.html) is a free app that ties in
> with MediaCenter, then sells you pictures/fineart/etc for turning your
> big display device into a picture frame/canvas.
>
> Great idea, and browsing their library, they truly have some superb
> content. Each collection runs like $9.99.
>
> While I don't think that Google is authoring a Linux/Myth version any
> time soon (a pity, since it appears most of the revenue comes from
> image sales) I was wondering if anyone else was aware of something
> like this, either as an application or implementation of an existing
> application..
>
> (yes, I'm aware you could pull images into MythGallery, and leave them
> up on the screen, it appears (again i don't own it, so I'm picking
> this up from their web site) that GalleryPlayer will either run as a
> "module" you start and leave up, or in a "screensaver" mode.)

I played with using a recent version of Xscreensavers webcollage to play
during a family event.  The recent versions allow you specify a directory rather
than allowing the internet to be used.  This makes a collage though - which was not as cool as I thought it would have been once I saw it.

There is also GLSlideshow that does one image at a time, may even move it a bit.  Somewhat like the OSX screensaver thing.

You should be able to accomplish what you want with these tools...  You can start the screensaver directly by calling the program too.

Bill