[mythtv-users] Image Quality PVR-500

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 19 18:27:41 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:07 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Actually the PVR500 has an amplifier (a really cheap one at that) in
>> it and that is the source of the problem. I wish it was a splitter as
>> that would be much easier to compensate for...
>
> Especially if you see problems in the mid-band (channels 14-22). This
> is caused by a single-ended amplifier (as opposed to a push-pull one)
> that creates second-order harmonics of the low band that fall in the
> mid-band.

My problems with the PVR-500 have mainly been around channels 42-45.  45 is the
worst, but 42 & 43 have visible interference as well.

(It's a real pisser that three of those four channels are among my most
frequently watched.  The problem is bad enough that I've switched back to a
PVR-150.  Better to have one tuner that works well than two that don't.)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter