[mythtv-users] Problems ripping "RV" - how to transcode once it is ripped with another program?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 18:09:08 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, Jack Madison <jack at webhouse.cc> wrote:

> vlc dvd:/dev/dvd at 2 --sout
> "#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=/home/jack/dvdout.vob}"
>
> where "@2" is the title number that you must figure out beforehand.  My
> problem with this is I don't want to leave them as a 5G or so file, I
> want to transcode them down under 2G.  I rip all my movies in "good"
> quality with AC3 5.1 sound with MythDVD and the slight picture quality
> difference is more than made up for with the disk space savings (to
> me).
>
> My problem is I am unable to transcode them for one reason or another.
> I've tried vlc, avidemux, mencoder, transcode, etc. and have yet to find
> a combination of options on any software that will produce a video in
> which the audio and video are in sync.  I've tried having vlc output a
> transcoded file instead of just the mpeg dump and that doesn't work for
> me either, crashes, invalid options, no sound, or at best out of sync.
> I've tried using a transcode command from mtd.log from a successful
> rip/transcode of another movie but again the sound is out of sync.  I
> believe the problem is the vlc rip has VBR audio with these other
> programs are not dealing with correctly.
>
> I'm open to suggestions.

I just found this same command for VLC last night.  I don't know if
this will help with your particular movies, but this is the mencoder
script I used to convert to xvid.  I preserved AC3 sound since I used
SPDIF with a audio receiver...  (You can use "mplayer -vf cropdetect"
to detect the proper crop settings if you want to remove black borders
on widescreen movies.  If you search you can find a cropdetect.sh
script online that will do this quickly for you.)

# video track (pass: 1)
nice -n 3 mencoder -sws 2 -oac copy -ovc xvid \
 -xvidencopts pass=1 \
 -vf crop=720:352:0:64,scale=704:304  test.ps -o /dev/null

# video track (pass: 2, bitrate: 800)
nice -n 3 mencoder -sws 2 -oac copy -ovc xvid \
 -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=800 \
 -vf crop=720:352:0:64,scale=704:304  test.ps -o "movie.avi"

I haven't watched the whole movie yet (this was Snakes On A Plane last
night), but skipping around to test showed no audio sync issues.