[mythtv-users] Image Quality PVR-500

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 19 17:17:56 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:07 AM, John Drescher wrote:

>> Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that the 500 has a splitter
>> inside it.  So when you are working out signal loss across all
>> your splitters and such, there is a two way in there.  No idea on
>> the quality of it though.
>>
> Actually the PVR500 has an amplifier (a really cheap one at that) in
> it and that is the source of the problem. I wish it was a splitter as
> that would be much easier to compensate for...

Especially if you see problems in the mid-band (channels 14-22). This
is caused by a single-ended amplifier (as opposed to a push-pull one)
that creates second-order harmonics of the low band that fall in the
mid-band.

If you see crap in 14-22 and 23 is OK then this is almost certainly
your problem, assuming your cable company is not re-mapping channel
numbers somehow.

In order of frequency the US cable channels are actually:
2 - 6
14 - 22
13 - 23
23 - and up