[mythtv-users] OpenGL Painter ???

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 19 10:49:12 UTC 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 10:52 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> So I bit the big one and decided to try out 0.20 on a test  platform.
>> More to make sure I am not giving out bad advice to users of newer
>> Myth systems than anything else.
>>
>> So let me see if I get this right: The OpenGL painter requires more
>> cycles of higher-priced hardware in order to make the menu changes
>> take longer?
>>
>> Or am I missing something here ?
>
> I don't know.  I admit the fade effect looks kinda kewl, but I
> disabled
> it pretty quickly because I found it too annoying to have to wait for
> the fade before I could navigate the menus.

You can start navigating the next menu when waiting the 1 second or
so for the fade. If it's taking longer than that, you don't have
OpenGL working correctly.

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> The idea is to move it all over to OpenGL for better eye-candy...
>
> I hope the Qt painter sticks around for those of us who prefer quick
> menu navigation to pretty transitions.

You're missing the point. The switch to OpenGL was not to have fading
menus. It's for all the other good stuff coming down the line which
comes with having OpenGL support.