[mythtv-users] multi-encoder backend: confused about which chanels are on which encoder

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 04:41:59 UTC 2007

On 19/02/07, Seth Hettich <sjh at zorak.net> wrote:

> It seems as if during the period where the cards got switched (due to
> the rouge driver?) things got confused, and now it thinks both cards
> have all the channels.

I would go about this as follows (I'm sure others will have better suggestions):

1) shutdown  mythfrontend and mythbackend
2) enter mythtv-setup and 'Delete All' video sources and 'Delete All'
capture cards (this will flush out all card and channel related info)

3*) purloin some udev rules so that you can create symlinks to these
devices that are immune to device renaming at startup (e.g.
/dev/videoX is symlinked to /dev/ivtv). If your HDTV card does create
/dev/dvb/adapterX nodes then you should not need a rule for this as
there is only a single adapter with one card.

4) when your devices are suitably named, re-enter mythtv-setup and add
your cards (using the new udev nodes if necessary) and recreate your
video sources. Attach the correct sources and inputs togethers, and
run mythfilldatabase to populate your listings
5) restart mythbackend

You should now have static device nodes for MythTV that a reboot
should not affect. This should result in your video sources staying
attached to the correct devices.

* Writing udev rules to match drivers and devices can be tricky. There
are some examples on the ivtvdriver.org site at
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto#Howto_use_udev_rules.21 (ideal
for ivtv users who have changing device nodes) and my favourite udev
walkthrough is  still at
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html.

Nick
--