[mythtv-users] multi-encoder backend: confused about which chanels are on which encoder

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 00:58:52 UTC 2007

On 18/02/07, Seth Hettich <sjh at zorak.net> wrote:

> But it's still confused about the channels, what I have now under
> MythTV Status (mythweb):
>
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is local on tivi and is not recording.
> Encoder 2 is local on tivi and is not recording.
>
> Schedule
> The next 10 shows that are scheduled for recording:
>
> Sun 2/18 3:00 PM - Encoder 2 - Bravo - Law & Order: Criminal Intent
> Sun 2/18 3:00 PM - Encoder 1 - G4-video game television - Arrested Development
> [...]
>
> So, right there you can see a problem...  one of my two encoders
> (encoder 1, I think) is just an OTA pcHD3000, so it's going to have a
> hard time getting cable shows :(
>
> From the channel db view of mythweb I have:
>
> sourceid 1, channum 129 -> bravo
> sourceid 1, channum 191 -> g4
> sourceid 2, channum 11.1 -> KNTV-HD
>
> (just as examples)
>
> I tried deleting my schedule for Arrested Development, and then
> re-adding it, but that did not help.  Without having a better
> understanding of how input devices/lineups map to encoders, and how
> that relates to sourceids I'm not sure how else I can debug it.

When you define your video sources in mythtv-setup, you need to ensure
that each video source contains only the channels that the card input
you attach it to can receive. This ensures the scheduler will only
schedule recordings on inputs that can actually record the shows you
want recorded. It's no use having extraneous channels defined if they
cause the scheduled to correctly schedule recordings on an inputs that
has no way of actually recording. The scheduler is unaware of whether
a channel defined on a video source can actually be recorded from
successfully.

Put simply, if you are using an analog tuner, you need to ensure the
video source contains only analog channels that you can receive. If
you are using a OTA HD tuner, the video source must only contain
channels that the HD tuner can receive. If you have both analog and HD
cards in the same box, you should have 2 video sources defined,
attached to the correct card input via the Input Connections section
in mythtv-setup.

If you are using the zap2it listings, I believe it is possible to
remove channels from your lineup online so that when listings are
retrieved, only the channels you have configured are added to the
database.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: