[mythtv-users] DVB(S) tuner sensitivity (and my other) experiences

Dave dave at 0bits.com
Sun Feb 18 13:19:32 UTC 2007

 > Swapping slots isn't an option as both PCI slots are used and the
 > graphics card is AGP.  And yes, the Quadro is only supported by the
 > legacy NVidia drivers, but the version number isn't that far behind
 > the latest drivers.  (The card was given to me which is why I'm using
it!)

That's the issue with SFF pc's. Lack of space to juggle cards around. I
wish in hindsight i'd gone for a bigger media htpc case.

 >> I have, CPU usage is generally low (10%) when recording DVB-S and
 >> doesn't max out at any point.
 >>
 > How do you check interrupt usage with vmstat?  Is this just the IO
 > column?

No the 'in' column (as in 'interrupts') from vmstat.

When you have the nv/agpgart driver loaded as oposed to the nvidia i'm
sure it's not on the same IRQ 16 as your DVB card is it?

Swapping slots isn't an option as both PCI slots are used and the
graphics card is AGP.  And yes, the Quadro is only supported by the
legacy NVidia drivers, but the version number isn't that far behind the
latest drivers.  (The card was given to me which is why I'm using it!)

 > Have you looked at vmstat to see your cpu/interrupt usage ?

I have, CPU usage is generally low (10%) when recording DVB-S and
doesn't max out at any point.

How do you check interrupt usage with vmstat?  Is this just the IO column?

Robert.

mythbox ~ # hdparm /dev/hda |grep unmask
   unmaskirq    =  1 (on)

mythbox ~ # cat /proc/interrupts
             CPU0
    0:   58180140    IO-APIC-edge  timer
    8:          2    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
    9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
   14:     248445    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
   15:        128    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
   16:   10214394   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb3, cx88[0], cx88[0],
cx88[0], nvidia
   17:    4697686   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb1, Bt87x audio, bttv0
   18:       1210   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb2
   19:        104   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd:usb4
   20:     152190   IO-APIC-level  Intel ICH5
   21:     180893   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0
LOC:   58181682
ERR:          0