[mythtv-users] Getting the most use out of all tuners

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 10:10:30 UTC 2007

On 2/18/07, Jerry <mythtv at hpcjerry.com> wrote:

> I've got 6 tuners.
> I've set RecordOverTime and RecordPreRoll to 120 seconds each.
>
> But, when I've got two shows that are back to back, the scheduler likes
> to use the same tuner for both of them - even when I've got 5 other idle
> tuners.  Thus my RecordOverTime / RecordPreRoll settings are ignored.  I
> do not want to explicitly force the extra 2 minutes before and after
> each show because sometimes I have enough shows scheduled where that
> would cause me to run out of tuners.

According to at least some of the devs you are not supposed to use Pre/Post
Roll this way. IIRC it's intended for hardware that takes a few seconds to
initialize. So the scheduler ignores those settings for back to back
recordings on the same tuner (no re-initialisation required).

You could look into using the "soft-padding" patch that's been developed
because Australian broadcasters are so lousy at sticking to their own
schedules. That patch allows the scheduler to ignore the Start Early/End
Late in the case of conflicts that can't be resolved by shifting recordings
to different tuners.

I'd like to see Myth have the ability to record to two files so a single
tuner could handle consecutive shows and still maintain the Start Early/End
Late settings for each recording.

Cheers,
Steve