[mythtv-users] dvd jukebox

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Sun Feb 18 07:27:45 UTC 2007

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> Anyone have some recommendations on how much storage is really needed
> for keeping movies around and possibly TV shows?  Also, should RAID be
> employed in order to not lose the copies?

The amount of storage will depend on how you backup the DVD.  Myth
allows you to rip to perfect quality, which iirc makes about a 4.5Gb iso
per DVD.  I prefer to avoid any transcoding and just use dvd backup to
pull the DVD to disk then mkisofs to create a nice iso for Myth to play.
  This creates a file identical in size to the original DVD, usually
about 9Gb

So either 9Gb or 4.5Gb per DVD.  Another option is toi use MPEG4 (xvid)
which means DVD's can be ripped to about 700mb - but this is a lossy
conversion.

As for RAID - personally I don't for DVD rips - why double the cost of
the storage when all the data can be recreated easily?

--
David Campbell :: www.cpfc.org