[mythtv-users] One More Try - Bad Sound with Antenna

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 17 17:51:44 UTC 2007

On Feb 17, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Geoff Scott wrote:

> On 2/17/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> Are you using analog audio or are you perhaps trying to decode analog
>> audio as digital? If you;re feeding analog audio to a digital audio
>> device you'd get what you describe.
>
> I'm using analog audio... I think.  You'll have to excuse my
> ignorance, most of what was said in the three replies to my original
> email went over my head.
>
> My setup is outside antenna connected to coax.  Coax comes inside and
> is connected to my PVR-250 (input).  I can tune fine with a VCR.  I
> previously started with the freq table for us-bcast and /dev/dsp with
> the same result.  That's when I started changing things.
>
> I get the same sound issue when I do a test capture with "cat /dev/
> vidoe0"

You need to determine if the "noise" is actually being recorded in
the MPEG stream, or if you are getting problems playing back what is
actually a good recording.

You can attack this in a couple of ways. Playing back a "known good"
MPEG recording or playing back your "bad" recording with a know good
method.

I suspect your audio output setup is not correct, but anything is
possible. Are you sure you have NTSC/PAL set correctly? I don't know
where you are, gmail could be anywhere, but your spelling "analog"
makes me suspect you are a yank.

> Thanks for all the replies... it's just so close and so
> frustrating!?!?!?!

I know. Sometimes I'd rather have a machine just catch fire instead
of "almost" work. At least in the case of a fire I know exactly
what's wrong :-)