[mythtv-users] Upscaling standalone DVD vs. MythTV

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Fri Feb 16 15:18:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:29 -0500
"jason maxwell" <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm considering buying a nice upscaling DVD player. I'm looking at the
> OPPO 971 and 981 players. How does a well built HTPC running Myth
> compete as a player? I know there's a ton of variables there, but just
> say I had a very nice rig, using HDMI inputs to my 720p HDTV. Would I,
> could I, possibly be happy enough with the playback to not want or
> need the standalone player?
>
> I was unable to find any benchmarks or direct comparisons between a
> linux media PC and an Oppo player. So any pointers toward further
> reading, or strait up opinions are very appreciated.
> thanks,
> --Jason

Another thing to consider is the load on your box.  Right now I am forced to use my back-end as my front-end also - which has three tuners.  If I up-scaled a DVD it could put an unnecessary load on the box and cause who knows what kind of problems it could cause with recordings and such.

I have a cheaper up-scaling DVD player ($100US range), and it works pretty well.  I would not say the resulting content is awesome looking, but it does not look bad on the 1080 hidef screen.  I can try it tonight with some stuff and let you know.  Of course I am going up to 1080p from myth, and 1080i on the player itself.

Bill