[mythtv-users] Wireless keyboard with built-in mouse recommendaions, Any!?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Feb 16 04:56:00 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 22:15, j mccord wrote:
> Well maybe im looking for something that doesn't exist, but i'd like
> to get a keyboard with the mouse built-in.  Does such a thing exist
> for linux.  I've found several nice models from different
> manufacturers but when you put that manufacturers name and linux into
> google....nothing.  Any recommendations?  These are some of the
> keyboards that ive found:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823130006
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0252149
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823166047
>
> Does anyone know if these keyboards will work in linux or have other
> recommendations?

I've got a Lite-On SK-7500, which is an infrared wireless keyboard with
built-in two-button "mouse" (it's really more like a joystick, but it
connects to the PS/2 or RS-232 serial mouse port). A quick Web search didn't
turn up anybody selling that exact model, but I did find the SK-7100, which
looks similar, although it's not cosmetically identical:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/keyboard/sk7100.asp

I found several other models here, but I've never seen any of these in person:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/wireless.htm

I'm sure more Web searching would turn up more options. Of particular note is
eBay. That's where I found mine, and they tend to be less expensive there,
too.

FWIW, you can use either an RF or an IR keyboard as a remote substitute, or
program a conventional programmable remote to duplicate the keyboard's
commands, obviating the need for a LIRC setup and associated hardware. RF
remotes are less common than IR remotes, though, and I wanted to use an
existing IR remote with my MythTV box, which is why I went with an IR
keyboard.

You shouldn't be too concerned with Linux compatibility if you get a wireless
keyboard for a PC -- keyboards and mice are pretty standardized, so you don't
need special drivers or anything. (The computer doesn't care that the
keyboard is wireless so long as the receiver plugs into a normal keyboard
port.) An exception would be if you get something intended for a PDA or
something like that. Also, if it connects to USB your system must support a
USB keyboard, but such support is pretty common today. Similar comments apply
to the mouse functionality, but with the usual caveat about 2- vs. 3-button
mice. Most or all wireless keyboard mice are of the 2-button variety, so you
should configure X to use chording for middle button emulation. This isn't a
big issue for a dedicated Myth box, though.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com