[mythtv-users] Upscaling standalone DVD vs. MythTV

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Thu Feb 15 21:56:54 UTC 2007

jason maxwell wrote:
> I'm considering buying a nice upscaling DVD player. I'm looking at the
> OPPO 971 and 981 players. How does a well built HTPC running Myth
> compete as a player? I know there's a ton of variables there, but just
> say I had a very nice rig, using HDMI inputs to my 720p HDTV. Would I,
> could I, possibly be happy enough with the playback to not want or
> need the standalone player?

I have both  - a samsung upscaling DVD player and MythDVD  - the former
is plugged into my samsung LCD via HDMI and the latter via SVGA.  I
don't use the dvd player anymore as I can tell no difference in quality
even on my crappy GeForce4 MX 4000 and I love the abilty to play all my
DVD's right off hard disk  - albeit from NFS.

In summary, MythDVD is amazing :)

dave