[mythtv-users] problem with switching video modes

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 19:18:02 UTC 2007

Does anyone have any experience with the appearance settings for running the
gui and video in different resolutions? I'm trying to use it and it's
causing myth to be slow and crash.

What happens is that I start watching TV, switch to the guide by using the
menu. The video square in the guide either runs choppy or freezes or goes
black. When I select another channel and switch to it the screen goes black
and I have to reboot. Sometimes it works, but myth is painfully slow,
sometimes taking 4-5 minutes to respond to input from the remote.

I'm using MythDora on Fedora Core 5. The hardware is a P4 2.6 Ghz, with 1 G
Ram and a via mobo with 533 mhz fs bus. The video card is an nVidia 6200.
The TV is a Westinghouse 37" 1080p monitor. I want to run the gui in
1920x108 and then set regular TV to go to a setting that fills the screen
well with minimal stretching. I also want HD to be in 1920x1080 whenI view a
HD channel through my HD card.

When I view the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see it's trying to switch resolutions
and just getting stuck.

Is there any chance that my hardware just isn't beefy enough? It runs damn
snappy on default settings.

Thanks in advance!

Joe