[mythtv-users] Can't schedule recordings [SOLVED]

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 15 15:47:41 UTC 2007

On 02/15/2007 01:05 AM, Dave M G wrote:
>> And, it probably doesn't hurt to realize that the MythTV DB check always
>> executes:
>> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;
>>
> Whoah! I think this could be very key to my problems.
>
> Where is this command being executed, and can I get access to alter it?

It is /only/ executed on a database upgrade.  See dbcheck.cpp .  That
means that it's not being executed, yet.  When you upgrade your Myth
version, it will be executed and it will mess up your data in your
database...  (Here's one for the philosophers:  Is your data already
messed up since a change you've already made means it's going to be
corrupted at some point in the future?  OK, it's possible there's a way
to change it back without corrupting data, but I have no idea how, and I
know that when MySQL executes the above command, it will corrupt your
data, so you'll have to figure out a way to do something on your own
before the next DB upgrade.)

> I definitely need the database to *not* default to latin1. That's not
> going to help me display Japanese. And I've already proven that the
> database functions fine in utf8, so I think that's the way I want it to go.

I think the issue is not that Myth is executing some unnecessary command
because Isaac wants to ensure that no one uses non-latin characters, but
that Myth currently has a requirement that the database use a latin
character set.  Therefore, the "fix" isn't to just remove that
statement, but to fix all the areas where there are known issues using
non-latin character sets.  Then, that statement can be removed.

So, why would that statement be in there?  Probably because Isaac and,
TTBOMK, all the other developers are using latin character sets and
can't test using, i.e. Japanese, so they're waiting for someone like you
to come around and volunteer to fix /and test/ the remaining
character-set-based issues.

Mike