[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 14:20:32 UTC 2007

Well, I got a chance to do some more testing and troubleshooting in between
shoveling out of the first (semi-)major snow storm here in the suburbs of
Boston.  I'm happy to report that I think I've got the problem solved.  I
only say "think" because I didn't really get a chance to fully test things,
but it certainly look promising.

After spending a few hours monitoring the system (top, hdparm, etc.) during
various states of both the F/E and B/E systems and not really seeing much, I
decided to take a closer look at the NIC.  I popped a 3-Com card that I had
lying around into the system.  It took me a bit to get it working because
the system was being a fussy about the order of the PCI cards, but
eventually I got everything up and running.  I then went to the F/E and
tested the HDHR with Live TV, and was very happy to see the dropouts and
breakups had magically disappeared.  I would describe the picture quality as
near perfect.  Due to time constraints I was only able to test Live TV, but
this is the first and most prevalent spot that I saw the problem, so I'm
pretty confident that my other problems will be solved also.  Must have been
something about the on-board NIC and/or the driver it was using that was the
cause of the problem.  I guess this disproves my theory that problems on the
NIC would have shown up somewhere (ifconfig, system logs, etc.)

I want to take one more opportunity to thank everyone who replied to my
posts with their thoughts and ideas.

John